Diabetes Care Center
Marcus found out he had diabetes after a regular check-up with his doctor. He takes care of his diabetes because he wants to feel healthy and live a full life.
Do you have diabetes? Are you at risk? Do you have any of the signs and symptoms? Here are steps you can take toward living a healthier life.
- Check your blood sugar regularly. Blood sugar is the amount of sugar or glucose in your blood. Your doctor will probably want you to check your blood sugar levels at home with a blood glucose meter. Work with your doctor to figure out how often you need to do so. Make sure you keep track of your blood sugar levels and bring them with you to your doctor visits. This will help your doctor treat your diabetes.
- Get the tests you need. Tests help manage your diabetes. Tests also check for damage diabetes can cause to your organs, such as eyes and kidneys. Work with your doctor to find out what tests you need. Then, take the time to get the tests and exams you need to help you and your doctor manage your diabetes.
- Discuss your medicine routine with your doctor. Your doctor is your partner in staying healthy. Together, you can agree on a routine that works best.
- Eat right and exercise. The right types of food can help keep your blood sugar level normal. Try not to skip meals. Prepare colorful plates of fruits and vegetables. Eat healthy portions and have small, healthy snacks. Move daily.
- Maintain a healthy weight. Even small changes in weight can make a big difference in your blood sugar levels.